Is cancer in your genes? Because supposedly it’s in mine…

“You have a 25% chance of getting cancer because it’s in your genes”. This is what was told to me by a well-known nutritionist while I sat before him in the hopes of magically turning into a size 2 from his diet plan!

So there are two things drastically wrong in that statement, one being I don’t have a 25%, 15% or even 10% chance of getting cancer because its unlikely to be present in my genes and two is that I will never be a size 2 as much I want it (which I’m pretty sure I don’t anymore).

I have heard the cancer gene story on so many occasions that it’s essential for me to make it very clear to you today. Only 5% of cancer cases are due to genetics, while diet and nutrition accounts for 30%, smoking is another 30%, infections being 20% and the remaining are due to other factors like radiation, stress, physical activity, environmental pollutants etc. So I think a wise decision would be if we stop focusing on the 5% and maybe more on the other 95%, which is very much controllable by us.

When I feared cancer, I feared the unpredictability of the disease. I was convinced it was going to happen to me and I had no way of controlling my fate, coupled with the “its in your genes” talk, it was now inevitable. This by far is the biggest BS I have ever believed! I had the privilege to hear Dr. Thomas Lodi speak last week at the Integrated Health Conference in San Diego and similar to many other renowned specialists, he clearly pointed out that cancer is a metabolic disease and NOT a genetic disease predominantly due to toxaemia, hypoxia and inflammation.

We then have the Angelina Jolie’s of the world who blame the BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene mutations leading to breast and ovarian cancers and then make a pretty invasive decision to surgically remove the breasts and ovaries. I understand the fear associated with inheriting one of these genes however its important to consider these three points before anything else:

  1. Inheriting a cancer-predisposing gene mutation does not mean you will get cancer.
  2. There are other genes that are yet to be identified apart from the BRCA1 & BRCA2 genes which might be contributing factors to develop cancer, therefore surgically removing body parts might not be that useful after all.
  3. Almost every cancer can be prevented or reversed at certain stages and with the right integrative approach for your body.

So next time you think it might be in your genes, think again and make the difference by changing your lifestyle instead. 


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s